Want to have your life as work, work, work, work, work, work ?


Money can buy you Time in the Future (early retirement, etc.)

But Money requires Work Today
And Work takes your Time Today

Treating your life as "work, work, work" is somewhat similar to trading your Time today for your Time in the future. Which one is more important to you?
Hold on a bit before you start repeating the well accepted "common sense" that one must work a lot to save for retirement, that "time value of money" concept turns $1 into several right before you die, etc. etc. The question is: which Time is more important to YOU, time Today or time Tomorrow? The reason I ask is because the answer is not as clear cut as many falsely believe. For example, I prefer my time TODAY! Playing with my kids, doing the activities I like while trying to avoid/reduce the work as much as possible (hence I chose to work for myself since it's the only arrangement that makes me feel as if I don't work at all). Of course I think of the retirement, but I don't stress too much about it.
This is because of "Life Value of Time" (I made this one up, but bare with me and you'll see that it makes a lot of sense).
Consider Life Value of Time ("LVT") as the opposite of Time Value of Money concept. Time value of money simply explains that a dollar invested today turns into more dollars tomorrow (note, that it's not "worth" more, since, as I explain below, "worth" is subjective while compounding interest is objective and is easy to calculate).
Here's my illustration of it ($100 invested at 10% for 10 years):
Now, the mistake that almost ALL people make is that they automatically assume that a "dollar tomorrow is worth more than the dollar today". This is wrong. Sure if everything goes according to the plan, it will turn into a greater quantity of dollars - but will those dollars be worth more? Will you live that long to enjoy them? Will you be in good health to do the activities that matter the most to you?

So, the idea behind the "Life Value of Time" is that as we get older the pool of our possible activities shrinks. This is mostly related to health, but many other aspects of our lives disappear with time. E.g. it may be extremely important for you to spend more time with your young kids or to have kids at all, but instead you "work, work, work" to buy yourself time to "spend" when you are old... but will you have your young kids to play with you at that time? If it does not matter for you - then fine. But if it does - then stop wasting your time on "work, work, work" and go ahead and fully enjoy your TODAY (not tomorrow).
Again, today you have more options of how to spend your time, so one unit of Time today has more LIFE in it than the same unit of time when you are 70 or 80.
Here's a real life illustration of Life Value of Time concept.
My grandpa died about a week ago. He was 81. When he was young, he wanted to travel a lot and he engaged in many fun activities. But that was then. At around 70 "just living" became his main and pretty much only activity. Due to aging he could not do as much. The last year of life he spent at home, lying in bed or just slowly walking around. Yes, it was the whole year. But was it "worth" as much for him as a year when he was 31? I don't know. What do you think?
Let's look at a hypothetical scenario from my grandpa's life (very simplified and without taxes). Let's assume that my grandpa magically came back to life and he is now 50 years younger, so he is 31 years old today (around my age). He plans for his retirement. Let's say that a commission-based financial planner advised him to have $4,000/month or $48K/year during retirement (at 2% inflation, he'll need $130K to fund the last 81st year of his life). This means that at 31 years old he needs $11,300 of savings to fund that year (assuming 5% rate of return over 50 years). Thus he would need to "work, work, work" to save approximately $500/month over the course of 2 years! And thus is at the age of 31 when there is SO much he could do with his Time today!
I don't know what my grandpa would have chosen if this was somehow a real scenario and he had already "tasted" the life after 70... but for me it's clear: my time TODAY has the most LIFE in it and I value a "year of life" today way more than a "year of life" when I am 81 (assuming I can live that long). There are MANY activities that matter the most to me that I could do today... even for FREE. So, I'm OK working a bit less and enjoying life more even if it means I will be making $500/months less.

Then of course there is a risk that we will need to "write off" (an accounting term for a lost/impaired asset) our "investment" of Time. Yes, we spend time today (invest it) so that we could have more time to enjoy in the future. But accidents happen. There is a real risk that something will happen either to us or to our assets. By the way, the risk of losing your assets is WAY MORE real than many people in many developed countries understand: 2000's and 2007-8 in the US was nothing compared, for example, to the lawless state Russia was in after the collapse of the communism. I lived through that and I know (and that's why it was so shocking for me to see so many people in the US saving for retirement and talking about the financial plans for the life in 30-40 years!) What happened in Russia (bank defaults, inflation, government default) was as unthinkable for most people then as it is unthinkable right now in the US/Canada (maybe less so after 2007-8).

Going back to the question: you "work, work, work" and spend (invest) your time TODAY to presumably save money to buy yourself more time in the future (earlier retirement, afford more things when older, etc). Ask yourself WHY you do it? What's so important for you in the future that your are willing to sacrifice your most valuable time today?

Think of my granpa's example above.
Imagine yourself at 81.
Imagine you could return back to your current age.
Would you still be doing what you do now?
SOURCE: Quora

0 comments:

Post a Comment

More

Whats Hot

Have you had a movie magical moment ?